Happy Christmas, everyone. I hope it was a good one. It certainly was for us. I'm too tired to give a full report, but it had all the usual desired components - good food and people we care for. Lestrade outdid himself with dinner, and Mrs Holmes, Mycroft, and Sherlock created some new version of Cluedo understandable only to them.
Here's a picture from a while ago (you can tell by the blue sky). Someone had hung one of the trees with these two little baubles.
And here's a close up of our tree with massive sparkly snowflake.
Jumper report: Mrs Hudson knit me a very nice jumper. It's mainly cream with red cuffs and collar, and some cabling stuff in the middle and on the sleeves. I think it's lovely, and not too Christmassy. Should be able to wear it all winter if L doesn't make off with it and bury it somewhere...
And now, everything is cleaned up, Sherlock and Mycroft are asleep, and L is waiting for me in bed while I blog like someone who has nothing better to be doing, when clearly I do, so...good night.


37 comments:
Goodnight! Thank you for blogging despite the late hour (and the having something better to be doing ;))--and for the description of the jumper, which sounds perfectly lovely. (I love cabling, it's fun to do and is so nice and warm with all the criss-crossing yarn!)
It does sound like a wonderful day all around and I'm so pleased! May the upcoming year be every bit as good. :)
I'm glad you had such a nice day John I don't know of a family who deserved a relaxed, happy, fun Christmas more than you lot so I'm glad you got it :-)
Have a lovely day again today however boxing day is being spent.
Matching collar and cuffs, eh?
I promise not to bury it. Or train the dogs to bury it.
Christmas night, was, apparently, the night to do armed robberies around here. Thankfully I don't have to deal with them.
Sounds like you all had a wonderful Christmas Day. Possibly even a fun Christmas night, too :-)
John - nice to know you have matching collar and cuffs...
Lestrade - does this mean you're back at work today?
Yeah, at work, missing all my boys.
Those are lovely pictures, John. You should do more photography things. I think you've got an eye for it.
It sounds like it was a wonderful Christmas. I'm admittedly curious about the Cluedo revised rules -- we changed them too, playing with my cousins, although I no longer remember all the ins and outs. Something about not using secret passages if someone else was in the room because they wouldn't be secret anymore, and being able to knock off the competition if you'd figured out that you were the murderer and could recreate the situation in the solution packet.
Good luck at work, L.
rsf
I was just asked, and I didn't know--how do you celebrate Boxing Day? Or is it not a celebration type of holiday?
ReRE - I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but as far as I'm aware, Boxing Day isn't really a celebration in it's own right - at least not these days. There are various traditions - lots of sporting events (lots of football - soccer - for example), there's hunting (that's fox hunting as was, people with red jackets on horses galloping through the countryside with a pack of dogs, but in theory not hunting actual foxes these days, since that's been banned). Some people do daft things like going swimming in the sea and the Serpentine.
Lots of shops start their sales today as well.
Mostly people use it as a day to recover from Christmas, people visit family they didn't visit on Christmas day (or have a day off from relatives if they did go visiting on Christmas day). It's a bank holiday, so people who work normal office-type hours wouldn't be at work today.
Bear in mind as well, that lots of people here try to take the time off between Christmas and the New Year if they can, so they have about a week off in total :-)
Thank goodness hunting and/or jumping in large, cold bodies of water isn't a requirement.
Although at the moment, I might almost prefer either to having three Holmeses explain the new, improved rules of Cluedo to me. I might just go and walk the dogs.
Thanks, Nameless! Today isn't an official holiday here (although lots of people call in sick or use vacation days) but we have a lot of sales, too. Otherwise, none of the above, so that's interesting!
John, ask Mycroft to write you up a cheat sheet for the new rules. And/or have fun with the digs. :)
DOgs! (Stupid virtual keyboard.)
You need to understand the rules to explain them to me.
Sherlock still wearing his boots?
Oh yes. I think it may be difficult to talk him out of wearing them to bed.
How's your day going?
I'm really glad he likes them. I might post up a picture later.
Day's fine. Reviewing cases, doing paperwork, the usual. Been fed mince pies and the Chief Super gave me a bottle of Jura.
(Please do put up a picture! :))
I'm glad you're day's going well--it's bad enough you have to work!
L - That was nice of him.
I don't think I can explain Holmes Cluedo to you, or anyone else. I think our best bet is to flee the room if it ever comes up again.
Does that mean their Mum is still around? That's nice.
Glad to hear all the nice times had by you guys and the Badgers as well. I had my usual chaotic fun family Christmas. My best friend describes my family as Rockwellian, so if you picture what Norman Rockwell drew for a family Christmas that'll give you a pretty good picture of my last few days.
I'd like to flee with you.
Can't believe the amount of food you lot have eaten today!
Kholly - she left just a little while ago. It was nice to have her around. Your Christmas sounds lovely as well, glad you had a good time.
L - we did have help! So...what's for dinner? :)
Err..any requests?
Heh. I thought I might go and get us pizza and garlic bread actually, if that's all right?
Yeah, I'm addicted to Christmas food... I'm trying to go cold turkey, but it just isn't helping...
I expect Sherlock to overdose on potatoes any time now.
Wow, the snow is really coming down here right now! (It was supposed to be mixed with rain--and they are still predicting a LOT of rain--so I don't expect accumulation, but that is some heavy snow right now!)
I want snow!
I hope that if you get any snow, it won't be immediately followed by rain that washes it away before you can play in it, Sherlock! (That's what is supposed to happen here, but it looks pretty now. :))
My boots are waterproof so I can go in the snow in them.
That is excellent! Do they have deep treads on the soles, too, for slippery ground, or do you not need that in London?
Happy belated Christmas, everyone! I hope it was a wonderful one! We're fighting off a post-Christmas blizzard, so it looks a lot more like Christmas today than yesterday!
I hope you had a great holiday, Maz! We don't have a blizzard, but we've got a nor'easter going on--there's at least as much sleet as snow coming down now, the north-facing windows are all getting a coating of ice. Are you all okay?
Happy belated Christmas! It sounds like most everyone had a lovely day.
It snowed here all day yesterday, giving us a few inches, but now it's all melting. I hope you get some snow soon, Sherlock. As for everyone else, I hope you're all safe and dry and enjoying the calm after the Christmas frenzy.
Yep, we're just fine. The snowblower we got for Christmas last year and never used got a workout today, on our driveway, our neighbors driveway, the entire block's worth of sidewalk, and our other neighbors walkway!
Hurrah for engine power!
Well, it's about 10 degrees to warm here for snow right now, but I'm going to wish for a snowblower later in Jan., when the predicted masses of snow come down.
Hope you've all had a nice Christmas - it's the first day of shopping here, and I'm definitly going to avoid adding to the chaos!
Tina
Just something I thought you all might find amusing:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Djc8FPHs45o&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDjc8FPHs45o%26feature%3Dyoutu.be
Lancs. Anon
How goes the day gents? I hope you're all having a good one whatever you're doing today :-)
LA, that is curiously fascinating. I'm not sure why anyone would build that thing, but I can see the temptation to play with it!
rsf
Post a Comment