We're both unable to sleep at the same time for once. Makes a nice change, having company. Except for knowing we'll both be tired tomorrow instead of just one of us. I was asleep for a bit at least, dreaming about being in a helicopter, going over endless dry dirt, no rivers, no trees, no people or animals. Just dirt and dust and empty trucks stopped dead in the middle of dirt roads. I think I'd rather be awake.
L's doing paperwork and had half a folder spread out over my leg so when I woke up I caused a small paper avalanche. Left him to clean it up while I made tea. So now we're awake in the middle of the night with tea which is, in my opinion, better than without, and with chocolate biscuits, autopsy reports, and crime scene photos. Sherlock would love it.
Sometimes life produces moments that are so unexpectedly nice that I find them almost shocking. I'd never have thought, before I met L, that insomnia and paperwork - even someone else's - could be combine into anything better than mild irritation. But, shared with him (and tea), it turns into something different. Contentment maybe. That's a good word.
I'm still not used to it. Maybe I never will be.
L's doing paperwork and had half a folder spread out over my leg so when I woke up I caused a small paper avalanche. Left him to clean it up while I made tea. So now we're awake in the middle of the night with tea which is, in my opinion, better than without, and with chocolate biscuits, autopsy reports, and crime scene photos. Sherlock would love it.
Sometimes life produces moments that are so unexpectedly nice that I find them almost shocking. I'd never have thought, before I met L, that insomnia and paperwork - even someone else's - could be combine into anything better than mild irritation. But, shared with him (and tea), it turns into something different. Contentment maybe. That's a good word.
I'm still not used to it. Maybe I never will be.
39 comments:
Everything's better with you.
Tea and choccy biccies is just the icing on the cake. So to speak.
The icing on the biscuit? On the comparative heart? On the...whatever that in in that photo?
Is that actually an egg whisk?
Err..yeah. Or as we call it, 'exhibit 329/0841/Hcg' which is far snappier, and will undoubtedly catch on in these cookery shows.
i think that's cat food. Or it could be brain. Who knows? (hopefully Forensics know, or I'm not sure what we pay them for.)
In the context of a murder scene, I feel like brain is more likely...maybe.
Hah, maybe.
Although I remember one PC very very carefully documenting and protecting a large pool of blood at a crime scene - which was curiously far from the body, with no smears/drips/drag marks... SOCO thanked him, when they arrived, for keeping the hair-dye puddle so well looked after.
Victim had spilt the bottle before the fight that killed her. But it did look quite gory, on the bathroom lino.
Pretty sure this guys brains weren't whisked...
I should stop blogging about crimes, when over tired. might say something I shouldn't!
Ha. I sympathise, remembering how terrifyingly realistic the fake blood you and the boys cooked up that time was...
Egg whisks don't really go with brains or cat food, that's the problem.
Mmm, yeah, that was good.
No, they don't. I won't tell you what they hit him with on here, it's a bit brutal. Cats eat brains though, interestingly. Or his did, anyway. No loyalty, cats. Mind you, I think our hounds would eat us. Maybe not Mycroft, though. I mean, they might not eat him. I'd hope he wouldn't eat us.
(Now you have me mentally quoting from Silence of the Lambs...)
Having looked back at that comment I seriously wonder what sort of ramblings I've put on this paperwork.
Time to try this sleeping idea again, I think. Or at least give up on the work.
Most cats I've known would be too picky to eat brains, I think. As long as the dogs wait till I'm dead, I'm not overly concerned.
Yeah, could try sleep again.
The good thing about not ever getting used to something good is that it's always a pleasant surprise.
Good luck with the sleeping anyway.
rsf
Tea makes everything better, no matter how bad a day or night.
My friend has a cat who was a Hurricane Katrina survivor. Sometimes she wakes up to him patting her face and licking her nose. She thinks his previous owner died in the hurricane and he wants to make sure she's alive.
Or he could be just really hungry.
I hope the rest of your night (both of you) is peaceful and, if you dream, your dreams are pleasant. :)
*going to make myself some tea*
Did you get woken at some horrendously early hour, or was Mycroft able to entertain Sherlock for a while?
Seriously, I'm not sure I've ever read anything quite so romantic as this post.
Fairly horrendous, SH, yeah. But he was distracted for a bit by food and degus, then for a bit more by Mycroft and hearts...
Now we're waiting for biscuits to cool enough to ice them.
Anonymous - John is very romantic :)
rsf - true.
Pip - ha. That's either sweet or disturbing...or possibly both.
Anon - just being honest. Maybe it came out right for once.
It often comes out right! You're amazing.
Sherlock is actually going to wear a hole through the carpet if he keeps running up and down in those boots, waiting until it's time to go for tea.
Seldom feels like it does. But thank you.
He'll wear them out before he even gets near a motorcycle at this rate.
Doesn't have to be eloquent to get the idea across. Words are the easy bit. it's meaning it that isn't.
It's been pointed out to me before that if you don't tell people how you feel, they won't know. I just...always want to make sure you know. That's all.
Mm. maybe. But if you say it and don't mean it...I just mean... it's not just saying it. And, well, sometimes actions speak louder than words.
Believe me, Bry said it plenty, and didn't mean a word of it.
Anyway, we should go for tea.
All right.
I should have said, you show me and tell me and...well, I know you mean it. That's all.
I know. It's okay.
You two make me smile when you're being lovely to each other :-)
Enjoy tea.
I hope it's okay to say you're both right--it's no goid saying it if it's not meant, and it's not enough to feel it if it's not communicated...and it's so special that you two do both, because that's everything. :)
Jo and Lisa have given me a lovely photo of John for my desk.
How lovely :-) there are two friends who know exactly what you want for Christmas :-)
Perfect!
It really is. It's a candid shot from when we went out all together, he's got a big smile on his face.
She's a good photographer.
Perfect present! And candid shots are the best.
Tina
and you're gorgeous. perfect combination.
Glad you think so if my face is going to be staring at you from your desk all day. ;)
from my desk..the pillow next to me...the sofa... you're always gorgeous.
I've been thinking about this John, and I realised that I still find myself caught off guard sometimes by a particularly nice moment. Like you said, contentment, but also I think there's something very intimate about sharing those moments with someone. Emotional intimacy, perhaps.
Anyway, I'm not sure whether it's a comfort or not, knowing that these things can still sneak up on you after years together, but hopefully it is :-)
Nameless - it is definitely a comfort, yes. :)
Post a Comment