Sherlock got most of his bike gear for Christmas...got his helmet...so we arranged a little surprise. L and Mycroft and I set off into the cold and the wet, and eventually met Sherlock and Mrs Hudson near Harrow so Sherlock could have his first ride in real traffic without it being in the middle of London.
And so I could practice with Mycroft on the back of my bike, and in poor weather, in an effort to make L feel a bit less nervous about my abilities. And also obviously because I do need the practice, but he does occasionally give me this concerned look that makes me feel as if I ought to be asking permission before I ride in the rain.
It was cold. It was wet. I may have mention that already, but the cold and wet featured prominently in our day and bear repeating. At one point I thought my fingers might never uncurl, just be frozen permanently in handle bar gripping position.
Not cold enough, of course, because it's still rain and not the S word.
And so I could practice with Mycroft on the back of my bike, and in poor weather, in an effort to make L feel a bit less nervous about my abilities. And also obviously because I do need the practice, but he does occasionally give me this concerned look that makes me feel as if I ought to be asking permission before I ride in the rain.
It was cold. It was wet. I may have mention that already, but the cold and wet featured prominently in our day and bear repeating. At one point I thought my fingers might never uncurl, just be frozen permanently in handle bar gripping position.
Not cold enough, of course, because it's still rain and not the S word.
![]() |
| Snowflake close up |
We stopped briefly for tea/coffee/cocoa, and three of us sat there, more or less in silence, and listened to Sherlock's nonstop monologue on the wonders of bike riding, all while still wearing his jacket and clutching his helmet to his chest. He's now in bed with boots beside the bed and helmet on bedside table. I think it's going to be a little while before the excitement wears off.
Also, here's this. Presumably the orange was a suggested healthier alternative.
![]() |
| Leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it. |


143 comments:
Sorry.
Was Sherlock more excited than you were when you picked up your bike? I seem to remember you being rather excited then ;-)
Practice in the wet is good for everyone, us internet folk want you all safe you know :-)
I hope you've all warmed up now.
L - for what?
Anonybob - I think Sherlock was more excited than any ten people put together could've been!
The look.
You don't need to be sorry, love. I didn't mean to imply that. It's just sort of funny to me, that's all. I don't mind.
I'll try to stop it anyway. I don't mean to imply I don't think you're safe or anything.
I like your snowflake.
I think it's probably natural to worry. It's not as if I don't worry about you, and you're much better at doing your job than I am at riding my bike.
Me too. Wish I could remember where I found it.
You're fine at riding your bike. I worry about me riding mine too. I don't want to mess up and fall off. Again.
You didn't mess up, that bastard nearly hit us.
But let's both avoid falling off if at all possible.
Not falling off is a laudable goal. Go for it! :)
(I just finished reading through the surprise ride and Sherlick's excited glee on L's blog and it just filled me with joy--as does your word picture of Sherlock above. Thank you all SO MUCH for sharing it all with us!)
(...SherlOck's... *sigh*)
I'm going for a walk, back in a bit.
Don't get too wet Greg but fresh air is good for the brain :-)
All right.
Sorry, i don't know what's up with me.
I'm sorry if it was anything I said.
No, no, it wasn't. I'll be back in a minute. Sorry.
Okay. Let me know if you want to talk, or anything? I'll make tea.
Tea and a hug sounds good.
I can deliver both in quantity as soon as you get home.
You are far too good to me.
I'm really not. Just want to help if I can, that's all.
I don't really know how to explain. Sometimes...I just get an overwhelming fear that some bit of life are going far too well and I'm bound to mess it up. Except even that doesn't really cover it. I just get...scared, or something. I don't know. Like suddenly realising everything you've got to lose.
I think I know what you mean. I get scared sometimes, having you and the boys, because what if something happened? It'd be so much worse than something happening to just me, when I was on my own.
Yeah, that's part of it, definitely.
The fact is Greg you will mess up, everyone does, but messing up is rarely terminal to a good situation normally it brings everyone closer together in the end.
Is the rest... I don't know. I shouldn't guess. Do you want to go to bed, talk about it there some more?
Bed's good.
I hope everything''s good this morning, and that the day goes well for all of you. :)
(And that I get some sleep before it is properly morning here...!)
Fear of loosing something good is universal, I think. As long as you're able to talk to John about it, it's ok.
Hope you feel better this morning -and I hope Sherlock is not constantly asking you to go biking again RIGHT NOW :-)
Have a nice day, Tina
But we should go bike riding because it's not even raining!
We'll go out for a bit later, okay? Just...try and calm down now.
And the incredible Motorcyle Monster makes his appearance. Although if there has to be a downside to doing something really nice, knowing that the person you did it for really really likes it is probably the best sort of downside.
Sherlock, isn't it Mycroft's turn for something really excellent today? Because yesterday his treat turned out to be your treat. What's the nicest thing you can do for your brother, your nanny, and your DI (and Mrs H) for a thank you?
rsf
Speaking of treats for Mycroft, have you all heard about Comet Ison? It's not visible now, but by next fall it ought to be getting easier and easier to find, even without a telescope. And before it gets here, there's another one in the spring. So it should be a good year for getting out in the dark and looking up!
rsf
Mycroft only likes boring things.
He likes motorbikes and they're not boring. He likes cooking things you like to eat and that's not boring. He likes the dogs, and I don't get the impression that they're boring at all.
rsf
He likes motorbikes so yesterday was his treat too and we've walked the dogs already and Lestrade says we don't need to cook anything.
I did enjoy yesterday.
Riding with John was quite different to riding with Lestrade.
You're a very good big brother, Mycroft.
Guess you can't tuck down behind John as well as you can with me ;)
He doesn't wave his hands about when riding and talking either. Or sing.He only swears quietly, and in English, too.
Well...if you can cope with more of that, we could go out for an hour or so.
Can you help me make all our headsets talk to each other? I don't get how you do it. Then you two can have the joy of a radio commentary on every aspect of our journey, too...
Ha - and you shall know them by their swearing :-p
Does Lestrade really wave his hands around if he's talking when he's riding? I can imagine that somehow :-)
Mycroft - I'm sure you've already seen this,, but Jerry Roberts, formerly of Bletchley Park, has been awarded an MBE. He was one of the blokes on the documentary about the Tunney/Lorenz code that I think got discussed on Lestrade's blog a little while ago. He's 92 years old - and on Twitter!
I only wave one hand! Usually can't spare my throttle hand. :)
Mycroft also like museums with things in jars, and that's not boring!
(Which is not to say anything about going out on the bikes, with or without expressive hand waving. :))
Nameless, what's his Twitter handle?
LET'S GO OUT AND WE CAN GET LUNCH LIKE YOU AND JOHN DO and then you can come back and do boring sleeping if you have to.
ReRe: He's @Wonder88.
Sherlock - sleep isn't boring, not when Lestrade is going to have to be awake and working all night. You're also more likely to get what you want if you say please instead of shouting, you know that.
Lestrade - I now have a mental picture of you riding, waving one hand about, and swearing loudly in Italian...
Now I'm disappointed, Lestrade. I always figured you for a guy who kept both hands fully engaged in any task he set his mind to.
Nameless - you left out the singing ;)
Thanks, Nameless! (There is a very large number of Jerry Robertses on Twitter. :))
ReRe - you're welcome :-)
SH - you're absolutely right. I'm adding singing to that mental picture, and... well, that's an interesting sight :-)
Your mental picture is uncannily accurate...
You must have one of those full face helmets then. I can remember when the way you recognized a happy motorcyclist was by the bugs in his teeth.
Did Sherlock get his ride and lunch? And have the boys figured out something quiet to do so you can sleep before you have to go to work?
rsf
There aren't many people in the UK who don't have full face helmets.
We did go out for a ride, and lunch, not quiet yet though...
I think most people do here too, nowadays. Good luck getting some sleep. I'd offer to lend you my current tendency to fall over into the bed at the drop of a hat, but as it comes along with a wretched cough and recalcitrant fever, I doubt it would actually be helpful.
rsf
Do you want me to take everyone out somewhere for a while? The dogs should get a walk anyway.
Only if you want. don't feel particularly tired...yet.
...And I think I just fell asleep on you for a minute instead. Sorry.
Did you manage some sleep Greg?
I hope work is as busy/not busy as you'd like it :-)
Do you and the boys have much planned for the evening John?
Too much sleep, was late waking up, had to throw myself through the shower so fast I barely got wet.
When my grandmother was asked if some item had been washed, she invariably responded (in Yiddish) "It's seen water!" Good enough, I say. :)
(And I doubt it will feel like too much sleep at 3:00 am. ;))
Have a not-too-eventful shift!
All I feel at 3am is like I miss my boyfriend like mad, usually.
Ugh, I hate it when that happens, makes me feel off-balance for the rest of the working day.
Hope you have an uneventful - but not not too slow - shift.
Nameless - when what happens? missing my boyfriend? ;)
Quite nice here right now. Very quiet. Not often I ever spend time alone any more. Which is partly why I was a bit weird last night, I think. Bit of overload.
There is nothing like a bit of time to yourself Greg :-)
Sorry you slept in, although if it makes you less tired later that's not a totally bad thing.
Walks are excellent. Whenever I visit my relations now I make sure I go for walks at least once a day, just for the solitude. Doesn't mean I don't miss having them all around when I'm not there though. :/
Will there be fireworks for New Year's there? And will you have to be on duty for them, or are you expecting something warmer to do on New Year's eve?
rsf
Everyone needs a balance between alone time and together time, and it's different for everyone.
right now I need to work out exactly what some members of my team do when I'm not here, apart from create a new filing system understood only by Bletchley Park types...
But I always goes before E except on Tuesdays or when there's an "a" in the name of the month, yes?
rsf
FIZZBIN!
I think the filing system is a simple 'Let's put that there instead of back where it should go and hope no one remembers it was me that did it by the time it's discovered.'
Lestrade - would you blame me? ;-p
I definitely get a bit... twitchy when I don't get any time alone. I need at least some solitude every day. It's lovely to have the people I love around, just not 24 hours a day :-)
Yeah...gone from spending all my free time alone to feeling like every second I'm not at work and not with John or the boys is a second wasted. Until it all gets a bit much. Balance is not, apparently, something I do well.
RSF - there will be a huge firework display in London for New Year. But I'll be working. Which I might get to see some of if I'm at the Yard.
Its all part of the cycle of forming strong family bonds isn't it? like when someone has a baby and they spend their whole time cuddling and touching it and never putting it down but as the bonds grow stronger there isn't the constant need any more and everyone becomes more independent again.
I've always thought the same was true of couples at the start of relationships, hobbies and alone time come back when the bonds are there that mean its ok to be apart. In some ways wanting time to yourself is a really good sign.
Anon - I'd never thought of it that way. But I like it. Thanks.
Can I talk to you?
Err..yes, but why aren't you asleep?
I'm practising. I thought you could help keep me awake. What case are you doing?
Practising for what? Does John know you're awake??
I'm reviewing evidence on a case where there was a fight and someone was stabbed.
You should really try and go to sleep.
Practising so I can stay up all night for New Year! I'm going to go to sleep when you get home.
He might if he's awake and is reading all of these but he might be asleep but the TV is on but he still might be asleep on the sofa.
Riiight...well, I'm not sure you should stay up all night. It's past midnight, so you should go to sleep now. I'll call John and get him to tuck you in again.
Going now. Sherlock, you really can't stay up all night.
You can't tuck me in I stood my mattress up and I'm standing on one leg in the middle of my room so I can't fall asleep and I opened my window really wide to make it cold so I won't get tired I need to be awake!
...good luck with that, Danger.
...Of course you did.
Your mattress needs to go back on your bed. And your sheets need to go back on your mattress. What did you do with them? Your room looks like a hurricane's been through it.
Can we walk the dogs? I made my sheets into a tunnel to make the cold air be better for me and less on the degus, but they fell down. And I went around the room not touching the floor to keep awake because you have to think and balance but cushions on the floor are okay because they're stepping stones and I had to use them.
Sheets on the bed first, and close the window, please. The degus look cold already. We'll discuss the rest afterward.
I put a cushion against their cage to keep them warm but they ate it a bit and feathers started coming out I didn't want them to get cold but they got in their bed and that's warm anyway.
Sherlock, honestly, it's another 8 hours until I'll be home - at least! You've stayed up until past midnight, which is all you need to do tomorrow, so you've proved you can do it. I really think you should go to sleep now, and be good for John so he's got the energy to take you out tomorrow night if you want to see the fireworks. But I'm sure he'll only do that if he knows you'll be good and do as he says.
Ah. I was wondering where the feathers came from.
...now I'm finding the silence slightly worrying.
Room mainly repaired...except for feathers.
One sulking Sherlock in bed.
I'm tempted to take him for a walk actually. Might do if he manages to stay up much longer. For now, he's had it explained to him that he can stay up as long as he wants to, provided he's in bed with the lights out.
Right. I feel vaguely responsible - for having a stupid job that makes him think it's okay to just randomly stay up all night. At least hehasn't got school.
I don't mind really. I think it's just because of New Year's, and I was up anyway. Would've preferred it if he hadn't entirely wrecked his room in the process, obviously...
I think it's more him having very thoroughly absorbed the concept of practicing something before actually doing it... (Although I don't think that's precisely what Mrs N had in mind. :))
...there are actually websites that give kids advice on staying up all night without their parents knowing... should arrest anyone who has one!
I hope he isn't a complete horror tomorrow.
Heh. Have you been looking them up? I assumed he came up with all that on his own.
With luck, he'll just sleep late. Without...he'll have a meltdown before we make it to midnight.
I wanted to check he hadn't done anything odd that you hadn't found! Does he have water there? Or a spray bottle, wet cloth...lots of them tell the kids to spray or splash cold water on their faces. And play computer games. Oddly none of them mention bothering DIs who are at work ;)
or you can get him up at the normal time and all have an afternoon nap :-)
Good luck with him John and with sleeping yourself.
I hope work treats you ok Greg.
Oddly none of them mention bothering DIs who are at work
Yeah, he's not the stealthiest when it comes to these things... There was a bowl of water, which he explained was to stick his face in if he got sleepy.
I think he thinks he doesn't need to be stealthy, because he'll obviously be able to convince us that whatever he's doing is Important and Right and we're the ones who are wrong... sadly his powers of persuasion are a little lacking compared to his ability to persevere with his plan.
(I typed 'perverse' twice before getting 'persevere'.)
Cheers Anony. A nap is a good idea.
Anoybob - I hope, as always, to be asleep at his 'normal time', faint hope though it is...
Anonybob - and I should clearly be asleep now if I can't even spell your name right, sorry.
L - he's singing now... Back into the fray.
I'd offer to have him here, but I can't risk getting a call out and having no one to leave him with.
Sherlock, please, kiddo, go to sleep. I have no doubt you'll get to do something fun to see the new year in.
Quiet again...for now.
Good luck. I love you. Hope you can get some sleep too.
I've got a call to a possible murder scene with no body...yet. Call me if you're still awake in a while. (You can call too, Sherlock, rather than wake John up.)
I love you too. Good luck, I hope it's not too bad.
I'll let you know how bad it is based on a. what evidence we find there. b. if we find a murderer lurking about and c. if we find a body lurking about.
Don't know if I'd rather just find a and c or get it all done and dusted by getting a,b and c in one go.
Actually, the best way to manage to stay up very late at night (and still enjoy being awake that late) is to get plenty of sleep the day before. Not that it's a method which ever seems to appeal to children! But sleeping in late, or taking a good nap in the afternoon are both better plans than standing on one foot or cold water on the face later on.
I hope Sherlock falls asleep soon, and you all get to sleep in for a while in the morning. Except Mycroft, who hopefully hasn't been awakened by the musical interlude, because someone will have to walk the dogs.
rsf
Do bodies lurk? I hope if you find B that he or she follows the advice in your 'come here and let me arrest you' tag.
Oh dear, I didn't even see the post about you going to possibly deal with a murderer when I posted before. Talk about reasons to stay awake...
rsf
Just found Sherlock asleep on the stairs. Returned him to bed without incident.
(Is it wrong that that made me giggle?)
Am home. Body turned out not to be dead.
Sherlock is looking at me sullenly and declaring he thinks i just sleep in my office, because staying up all night is 'impossible'.
Not dead is always good :-)
It sounds like there was more going on in Sherlock's head last night than practicing for tonight. I hope you sleep today and that he maybe gets a bit so he can make it to new year without getting too tired :-)
You know what he's like. Determined to grow up as fast as possible. I'm off to bed now.
Is Sherlock his energetic self and running around, helping with walking the dogs or is he actually tired? I do hope that he manages a nap later on, it's boring trying to wait for New Year while feeling sleepy.
And Sherlock, perhaps it's easier staying awake at night while working? You know, trying to solve cases and having to go outside when someone calls with a possible crime?
Anyway, I hope everyone who needs some sleep gets some.
Tina
I'm not tired and I would have gone outside but John wouldn't let me I should have gone to work with Lestrade that would have been better.
Now it's raining and John says we still have to go out because we need food and to give the dogs a proper walk I hope we can get some cheese.
Work can be boring too, you know. It´s much more fun to walk the dogs.
And rain doesn´t matter when you can buy cheese, does it? Perhaps there´s even some new sort you can try?
Have fun, Tina
you know work isn't somewhere Lestrade chooses to go don't you Sherlock? He would rather not stay up all night if he had the choice.
Good luck finding cheese and have fun walking the dogs, I like walking in the rain but only if I can jump in puddles ;-)
Anonybob, I'd be careful in jumping in some of the puddles round here - they're so deep the shorter amongst us might disappear if they tried it.
I'm not going to say anything about John needing to be careful SH absolutely not ;-)
Better not, he'll bite your kneecaps.
Why are you awake?
I was hungry :)
Very quiet in the flat. Just got the goos for company. I hope you've been successful on your cheese quest.
We got goats cheese and a really mouldy one.
A really moldy one sounds interesting!
(It's easier to stay awake all night--or just really late--if you've had extra sleep beforehand, like the nap Lestrade had yesterday afternoon. Although, unless you have something special to do, like a job, it's pretty dull, since most people are asleep and most everything is closed.)
They got some stilton that's almost liquid. Beautiful. Might make burgers for them to cook.
That sounds celebrational!
Everyone will need a nap before tonight it seems.
RR - they're not allowed to be too celebrational without me :)
Anon - I'm back to bed soon, I think.
Hi Mycroft,
You probably know about all of these but I thought it might be handy for you to have the list :)
http://siawrites.tumblr.com/post/39306985800/thesciencellama-13-must-see-stargazing-events
Lancs. Anon
That is a very useful list, Lancs. Anon. Thank you.
That is entirely reasonable, L. :)
Right. Time to make burgers and make sure John has enough kisses to last him to midnight ;)
I don't know if you have enough time for the latter, but I'm sure it's worth a good try!
It's an impossible task, but he's giving it a good try.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well! :)
Well, you can try banking a few, for later. (I said banking! And not that sort of bank, either - I know what some of you were thinking!)
Nowt wrong with thinking :-)
Banking... uh huh.
Thoughts are all I've got to see me through.
Did Sherlock wind up napping before the big night? And have you got a good place planned to watch fireworks? Have a happy celebration tonight, all of you, and a wonderful New Year!
Post a Comment