Sunday, July 14, 2013

did you know

Did you know there used to be a tradition of medical students posing with their cadavers? This is one of the more serious ones. I saw one with the students and cadaver playing cards...and another that had been made into a Christmas card to send to friends and family. 


And another 'did you know'...that some idiots are leaving their dogs locked in their cars with this heat? And that the police are allowed to break their windows to rescue the dogs? A broken window's the least of what they deserve, really. 

Since Sherlock learned that little fact, he's been on the lookout for dogs to rescue, and today... 


It was some sort of vastly unhappy terrier mix. Poor thing. Mycroft had some very strong words for the owner when he came out to complain about his window.

And lastly, L tells me I need to complain about the heat more and stop acting like I'm made of asbestos, so: it's hot. 

92 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

It is hot! No need to be stoic. It's a national sport, moaning about the weather :) That poor dog thought it was hot!

What's going on tonight...it is definitely way hotter now than it was this afternoon. Disgusting.

You working this week?

John H. D. Watson said...

If you lock me in a car, I will definitely complain.

Yeah, night shift again. It'll be cooler at least.

Greg Lestrade said...

weekend? Or...

I won't lock you in a car. Promise. Closest I'd ever get would be to tie you to a bike ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

No, tomorrow actually. Do you know what days you're taking off?

Ha. Is this some long-held fantasy I'm unaware of...?

Greg Lestrade said...

tomorrow? Right. I'll try and get away early.

Not yet. I need to do a weekend soon...but next weekend's Jess's first birthday.

John H. D. Watson said...

If you can't, Mrs Hudson says she'll be home. And I don't seem to get called out until reasonable people are asleep most of the time anyway.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, well, half an hour or so won't hurt. But hopefully Monday will be quiet. You never know though.

Don't for a second think this is me not wanting you to do your job, but I don't enjoy you being off on nights.

REReader said...

DOZENS of cheers for the dog rescue!

John H. D. Watson said...

I know. I'm not crazy about it when it's you either. But someone's got to do it.

Greg Lestrade said...

I know :) And honestly, I know you're fantastic at it. And I wouldn't want you not to do it.

I just...I don't like falling asleep, when I'm expecting you back. So, you know, don't be angry if I'm still up, if you do get called out.

John H. D. Watson said...

don't be angry if I'm still up

Never. I understand, I promise.

Greg Lestrade said...

You actually have no idea how amazing you are.

Piplover said...

That first picture is kind of creepy.

Yay for the dog rescue! That's been a major issue around here, where the temps have been reaching over 100F regularly. People are so cruel and stupid sometimes.

I used to handle the heat easily, but then I joined the Army and got heat exhaustion 3 or 5 times and now it just takes me down. Did you have a lot of soldiers who had trouble, John?

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm sure most people would have rescued the poor dog. I just had the warrant card to back it up :) makes it a bit easier!

John H. D. Watson said...

L - You actually have no idea how amazing you are.

I think that's my line. :)

Pip - yeah, and it was never the ones you'd think. There were a lot of perfectly fit, strong guys whose bodies just weren't up to it.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm allowed to steal it! It's true, anyway. maybe I'll get used to it, though? You crawling into bed in the wee hours? I hope I do.

Greg Lestrade said...

it is 100% too hot. I swear it's got hotter since the sun went down.

another night where I'm essentially cheated out of cuddling you by the British weather.

Anon Without A Name said...

I think it's got more humid this evening, hasn't it? And it's always more muggy in London... Hope you (all) manage to get a good night's sleep.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - or maybe they'll stop giving me nights for a while and I can discover what terrible things people do in London the daytime?

Definitely more humid.

Greg Lestrade said...

I think there's less breeze, too.

If John posts a picture tomorrow, posing with my corpse, you know I've either succumbed to the heat, or he's killed me for moaning about it ;)

bloody glad I haven't been seconded over to Belfast, getting firebombs in the face, to top it off.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm glad too.

Promise not to pose with your corpse. Or let Sherlock pose with your corpse.

Greg Lestrade said...

mmm. ok.

Want to go and flop about in bed and listen to me moan about the heat there, instead of on the sofa?

Should we install a sprinkler system so the combined heat of the dogs doesn't make Mycroft's room spontaneously combust? Although they might sleep in the kitchen - cooler floor, at least.

John H. D. Watson said...

If they keep trying to sleep on him, I think he might go and sleep in the kitchen.

Yeah, all right.

Greg Lestrade said...

it'll only be a problem when all six of us end up sleeping on the kitchen floor...

John H. D. Watson said...

That's how spontaneous combustion happens.

REReader said...

Seriously--soaking in lukewarm water for 20 minutes will cool you off for at least half an hour to an hour after, and maybe longer (depending on your internal thermostat). Try it. (Remember to soak your hair, too.)

Greg Lestrade said...

Being around you is how spontaneous combustion happens, Doctor Hotson!

RR - I don't think that takes into account sharing your bed with a hot doc! And half an hour to an hour isn't enough time for me to fall asleep. Although John's a bit better at dropping off than me. My hair, however, dries before the rest of me is even out of the water.

REReader said...

I have never shared a bed with a doctor (of any temperature ;) ) so I can't speak to that, but the lukewarm water really does help--just warm enough that you don't shiver. And even dunking your head in cool water makes a discernable difference to your body temperature.

Olli said...

L: your warrant card is my favorite thing about these blogs.

I hope all four of you are able to cool off enough to sleep.

Greg Lestrade said...

It cooled down to about 24 by this morning. Which felt cool, after being still 26 at gone midnight last night. I need to work out some way of sleeping without covers.

The warrant card definitely comes in handy! :)

pandabob said...

Why can't you sleep without covers?

just as we all get used to this weather it'll be back to the cold stuff anyway!

I hope the heat is making people lethargic and you don't have too much to deal with today :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

I just...don't feel comfortable without something covering me. I mean, just a sheet, right now, but...still hotter than nothing!

Heat is good for people not planning crimes, but bad for frayed tempers and spontaneous violence. So, swings and roundabouts.

Hope you've got/are getting power back!

pandabob said...

That makes sense but yes sadly still warmer than nothing.

I've not sorted the power, I can't get anyone to come at times when I'm home so it might be days before I can get it sorted but at least its not winter and dark by 4 ;-)

Greg Lestrade said...

I hope you have a good torch :)

I might try getting some much looser shorts to sleep in. I have a distinct feeling its time I got over it, you know?

pandabob said...

yeah you're right its time you got over it so click your fingers now and its done right?

I am of course not serious but I know you'll 'get over it' one night when it just feels right :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Well, it won't be tonight :) but I'm going to head to m&s right now and check out sleepwear. Time I took a first step, that's probably a better way of putting it - I feel like it's right.

pandabob said...

I've just realised how stupidly stupid my brain has been about John's nightshifts. Sorry if I've said anything daft along the way.

Good luck with the shopping :-)

rsf said...

Moving air helps even when it is humid. Put a fan near the bed and you will be a lot more able to sleep.

Greg Lestrade said...

I hadn't noticed anything stupidly stupid! I know I've been a bit vague.

RSF - we do have a fan.

Anonymous said...

I hate sleeping without anything over me too. I've been getting better about it this summer, though. Or at least, I keep waking up having violently kicked the covers off myself sometime in the middle of the night.

John might not appreciate that particular adaptation, however...

Mazarin said...

Good luck with the heat! It's going to be about 90 here today - 32 for you? - and I had to send my 7yo off to sports camp. He'll be outside all day long, except right after lunch when they do their swimming lessons in the indoor Olympic trials pool. I usually get a limp, exhausted boy returned to me in the late afternoons.

...and there's an idea for you.

Piplover said...

I can't sleep without something covering me, either. For some reason it just doesn't feel right.

I hope things cool down a bit for you tonight, so you can get a good rest.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mycroft sent me a text - 'Are you permitted to buy shorts without supervision' cheeky get!

I got these, Mycroft. Extra large.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/North-Coast-Cotton-Checked-Pyjama/dp/B00BG276HG?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_16&nodeId=2723235031&sr=1-16&qid=1373892817

Anonymous said...

The bow in the middle really completes it.

-Ella

Mycroft said...

I'm certain that John will be forever grateful that the product buyers for Marks and Spencer have some vague sense of taste.

Anonymous said...

I completely can't sleep without being covered up. On the rare occasions when I can get to sleep like that I wake up in the morning with the duvet over me unless I've actually put it in another room. For me it's to do with feeling vulnerable I think

pandabob said...

Nice pants Greg ;-)

John H. D. Watson said...

Maz - having a limp, exhausted Sherlock does sound like far less work...

REReader said...

Ah, but it's Kung fu and diving/life saving he's into now, isn't it? You could end up with an excited, energized Sherlock at the end of a day of those!

Mazarin said...

It's nice and quiet for about 3 days, then you start to feel sorry for the poor little chaps and end up making homemade ice cream and their favorite dinners and such. I got roped into massage therapy the other week, too, because they play so hard all day and his knees were more bruise than not.

Greg Lestrade said...

life saving is rather optimistic. I was more dead than alive when he'd finished... and got told off for not drowning right.

enjoying the sun, Danger? Still cool as a cucumber?

REReader said...

I recall being victim for a friend practicing for her life-saving test--back when we were both in high school--and I was also told off for not drowning right... :D

John H. D. Watson said...

Not cool exactly, I wouldn't go that far. My shoulder almost never hurts when it's this hot though, so it's not so bad.

Greg Lestrade said...

That's good. I'm happy to sweat a bit if it means your shoulder is better. I can always shower. Or just sweat all over people I don't like.

You like my shorts? This lot are mean.

John H. D. Watson said...

I do like your shorts actually. The bow is strangely prominent though.

REReader said...

I guess they were afraid guys wouldn't be able to find the drawstring if they made it navy? The shorts are quite dignified otherwise.

Kestrel337 said...

I too, have trouble sleeping without a cover. Except my feet, they like to stick out the bottom.

Maz, my youngest is at Birds of Prey camp this week and it's supposed to be in the 90s (90 = 32)and humid with it. At least I'm no longer working at camps...

pandabob said...

Hey Mr, I wasn't being mean!

I like your shorts it just came as a surprise that we got to see them ;-)

I'm glad your shoulder is better in this weather John, I might stop moaning about it (and my sun burnt feet) if its doing you good :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

I am certain it is not beyond my skills to remove the bow. Or just... Not tie it in a bow.

I wish they'd sold some bright tropical island style ones.

John H. D. Watson said...

Sunburnt feet are horrible. I hope yours recover soon.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - no, no. The bow must stay.

Greg Lestrade said...

Bossy.

John H. D. Watson said...

:)

Mazarin said...

I know they're not shorts, L, but you know. You're handy. You could cut them off.

http://www.destinationxl.com/1/1/1787-tommy-bahama-aloha-tropical-printed-pants.html

*giggles and runs away*

Sally said...

Mycroft, have you ever felt like the only sane one in your household? Only...I think the heat's got to the boss. Or it's got to me and he just seems more insane than normal.

Mycroft said...

I am the only sane one in this household. Has he done something?

Sally said...

Well, that's why I addressed you. I guess I was trying to soften the blow to the others?

Anyway, either I'm hallucinating, or the Boss just finished his paperwork early, and instead of doing something normal - going to the pub, going home, jumping in the river, bedding down in a chest freezer, rubbing Callipos all over his body...he's gone for 'a quick run'.

John H. D. Watson said...

Sally - I don't think any of us are in a position to disagree with Mycroft's assessment, really...

A quick run... That does seem extreme. I like the Callipos option better.

Anon Without A Name said...

Guys, guys: the same sex marriage bill has got through the Lords, set to become law later this week :-) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23320624

L - those shorts are... not as bad as they could be.

Sally - he's gone for a run? In this weather? Dear god...

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm fine! Not at all mad. I was just so hot it seemed like it couldn't get any worse, and I may as well get out and enjoy it.

Of course, now my whole body feels like it's on fire and my lips are stinging and I can ring sweat out of my t-shirt and shorts...so you know, hindsight...

Brilliant news, Nameless!! :) I heard it was going well.

John H. D. Watson said...

Excellent news!

L - also excellent news you survived the run. ;)

Greg Lestrade said...

I am on the way back! Sorry, I know I said I'd be early.

I think I might be a little bit of a masochist?

John H. D. Watson said...

Don't worry about it, everyone's just sitting around being hot anyway, and I' haven't had a call. Takeaway for dinner? Or salad?

Greg Lestrade said...

sorry, was riding.

i'll do green beans, mash and sausages, if you want? and salad. all the salad.

i need a shower...

Sherlock said...

We put ice cubes in the dogs' water bowl and they licked them and they got them out on the floor and chased them and it's brilliant and now there's ice everywhere.

Greg Lestrade said...

...ice, old DIs with broken hips, hungry kids because DIs haven't cooked them anything...

pandabob said...

That sounds like a fun game Sherlock although I'm thinking the outcome might not have been great from the sound of it.

I hope you're ok Greg :-)

REReader said...

Dog + ice cubes does sound like fun! (Please don't break your hip, L.)

John H. D. Watson said...

...And I've got to go. Sorry! Good luck.

pandabob said...

good luck with whatever you have to do tonight John :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm okay - I was exagerrating. The dogs are very funny. But less so when you're trying to cook!

Danger, take care, I shall attempt to fight off the walking stomach here and save you food and pudding!

Anonymous said...

We feed our dogs ice cubes in the summertime. They like them almost as much as they like fruit. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock is picking the garlic out of the beans and eating it. Your schoolmates will love you tomorrow.

REReader said...

Garlic is healthy! (And yummy. :))

Sherlock said...

only because you said I had to leave the beans for John.

Greg Lestrade said...

You do indeed have to leave them. How would you like it if you'd been at school all day and you got home to find out he'd eaten your dinner?

Sherlock said...

I need a t-shirt.

REReader said...

A t-shirt for now? For school? Or for something else?

pandabob said...

randomly or for a reason Sherlock?

Small Hobbit said...

I presume this will be a t-shirt needed for first thing tomorrow for school.

Greg Lestrade said...

for once, thankfully, not! For Friday.

Greg Lestrade said...

....and I've just noticed it's past his bedtime! Some good I'm doing at this parenting thing :)

Post a Comment