Saturday, July 6, 2013

i've met the met...


An understatment if I've ever heard one! L got me this at the park today. They were there handing them out, mostly to kids, but I like it. I've put it with the stickers Sherlock got us at Pride. 

We went swimming today. L and I demonstrated dives at Sherlock's request, multiple times, while he observed our form and technique...wait, I think I mean critiqued our form and technique. He did almost nothing but diving today himself - he's like that, goes flat out at what he wants to learn until he gets it. No diversions. He probably would've stayed until the pool closed if we'd let him. 

Mycroft spent most of the time reading or people watching. I was just sitting next to him, trying to get a decent amount of sunblock on my ears, and out of the blued he pointed out a young man across the pool and asked me if I thought it was odd that someone who wanted to join the Royal Navy was unable to swim. Took him a while to explain that one to me.

Anyway, good day. Especially after yesterday. L got home around two in the morning. I didn't wait up intentionally, but I was awake anyway and we talked for a while... I don't know. I'm glad the police there know the situation now, at least. Also glad that Danny didn't break the skin when he bit him. 

63 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

It was nice talking to you when I got home. I don't think I'd've slept much with it just churning over in my head.

I was amazed, coming to London when I was younger, how few people could swim. And still am. I'm glad the boys can - even if Sherlock is intent just to throw himself in the water for now.

Want to drink a beer with the Met now? ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

I would've been thinking about it all night too, so I'm glad you wanted to talk.

I would love to. And shortly afterward, I'd like to go to bed with the Met. :)

Rider said...

I'd like to go to bed with the Met

What all of them?

(And just what are you planning to do with that revolving sign then?)

Greg Lestrade said...

We'll need a bigger bed...

Nicky said she couldn't get through to the right bit of the council today, so she'll do it Monday.

I'm just so...part of me does want her to give up the house, move into care. And then I can't help but think he probably should have the house. But... I just don't know.

John H. D. Watson said...

Rider - a fraction of the Met. The revolving sign is for the bedroom, obviously.

L - it's a difficult situation all round. Do you think having the house would change anything for Danny? Help him get his life together or anything?

Greg Lestrade said...

I don't know. I sort of doubt it. He had it all before, with his wife, and threw that away.

The thing I'm most angry about - still angry about - is that he was taking Mum drink! It's just...unbelievable. And what started half the stuff a while ago about her saying we were trying to ruin her life. It was all him, being 'nice' to her, telling her all that.

Rider said...

heh.. I got spam bucketed after J replied to me!

John H. D. Watson said...

Rider - you have been despammed!

L - that is...really bad, yeah. All of it, but especially the drink, when he knows her health is fragile as it is.

Greg Lestrade said...

Well thinking about it again makes me veer back towards him not deserving anything better than his scummy little flat :)

what're we doing tomorrow? Watering the allotment, I assume, given how insanely hot it's been!

John H. D. Watson said...

Definitely that. Bike ride maybe? Either of the non-motor or motor variety?

Greg Lestrade said...

yeah. We could cycle up to the allotment, all of us. Be good to do some exercise. Or die in a horrible mash of dogs and bikes. One or other.

Anonymous said...

When a bully gets what they say they need they simply decide they need something more.

giving in is not a solution.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - or possibly both.

Rider said...

If my miniature poodle could pull the 12yo me and bicycle up a hill, I think Mycroft's dogs could pull all of you if properly harnessed.

Greg Lestrade said...

That's the problem - they can easily pull all of us. Through hedges, into traffic...

Anon - yeah, you're probably right. Honestly, I just want to do what's right for Mum. But we can't even agree on that.

John H. D. Watson said...

they can easily pull all of us. Through hedges, into traffic...

And yet harnessing them still sounds like far too much fun... Probably good that Mycroft won't let us.

Rider said...

OK, just what have I done to annoy the spam filter? THere is nothing processed-meat like about me!

Greg Lestrade said...

...you'd have to ask Danger. He's the one who ends up in it all the time, not me!

John H. D. Watson said...

I have a theory it's something about odd combinations of words that don't make sense...out of context at least.

Greg Lestrade said...

I should probably end up in there far more often then, the way my phone hijacks my comments.

John H. D. Watson said...

Hmm, yeah. I'm not sure you've ever ended up in my spam.

Greg Lestrade said...

That sounds like a really horrible euphemism!

John H. D. Watson said...

...It does. It really does. Let's forget I said that, all right?

Greg Lestrade said...

hah, as if. I'm now going to think of an act that shall, from now, be known as 'ending up in your spam'. Mainly so I can ask seemingly innocent questions at inappropriate moments to make you laugh.

For instance, discussing a meal for our wedding... "Will there be tossed salad? And Spam? John loves to end up with a bit of spam..."

John H. D. Watson said...

Just so long as you know that if anyone ever genuinely serves me spam because of you, it will be your duty to eat it.

... which also sounds a bit wrong.

Greg Lestrade said...

kinky and wrong!

I won't risk it. Spam, corned beef and luncheon meat were overdone in my young life. I have no wish to try them again.

John H. D. Watson said...

I feel like Kinky Spam was probably a band name at some point.

Greg Lestrade said...

probably. :)

Bed? Thanks for a lovely day. I've really enjoyed myself in the sunshine with you three. Makes yesterday feel like it didn't really happen.

John H. D. Watson said...

Bed, yes.

Thank you as well. It was great, and tomorrow will be too. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I am a very very lucky man to have you in my life, Doc Watson.

(Although nearly spoiled that by first writing 'Cod Watson', and then 'Cock Watson'....)

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha! Murray's given me enough terrible nicknames to last a lifetime, don't you start. ;)

I love you.

Greg Lestrade said...

Take me to bed then, before my terrible typing re-nicknames you! :)

Love you too.

Greg Lestrade said...

Beautiful day today. I hope you all enjoy it :)

My thoughts are with families and friends who lost loved ones eight years ago.

Small Hobbit said...

When my dad joined the navy in the war they had to teach a lot of the recruits how to swim. There was one who just couldn't manage it, so in the end they told him to drop to the bottom and run like mad!

Greg Lestrade said...

I know a lot of people in the navy couldn't swim. Seems mad, but I guess no one in the Air Force could fly either...

But these days I suppose I just expect most people - young people, teens and twenties, to have been taught.

Small Hobbit said...

The arrival of school swimming lessons and the fact that swimming is part of the national curriculum must play a part, although I wonder whether the number who are taught is falling. When I started secondary school (shortly after Noah felt that swimming could be of use) there was a prize for the youngest girl who learnt to swim. In my time there it was changed to the girl who had made the most improvement, as more year round public facilities became available.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm fairly sure Sherlock's urge to dive has been brought about because he starts swimming with school next year. And obviously wants to be the best at everything.

I just want him to be sufficient to get himself out of trouble before he goes without us being right there with him.

Sherlock said...

I can get out of trouble! But you should teach me life saving so if I see someone in the river or a lake I can rescue them or if someone at school can't swim I can save them too. We should go swimming right now.

Greg Lestrade said...

Hmm. If you see someone in a river or a lake you're going to be fetching help, not jumping in.

But we can teach you some very basic things to help somebody stay afloat if you see them in a pool and you can help them while shouting for help from nearby people.

Greg Lestrade said...

John has just thrown ice cubes at me for shouting 'Come on Tim!' at the TV.

pandabob said...

Brilliant ;-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Am brushing up on my first aid.

John may have a heart attack any moment.

John H. D. Watson said...

YES

Greg Lestrade said...

That's not him having a heart attack...

But he is trying to give me mouth to mouth...whilst dancing... the dogs are going mad.

John H. D. Watson said...

Straight sets! that was amazing!

Greg Lestrade said...

It was. 77 years since the last British winner. on 7/7. And didn't he make it exciting at the end, just for show ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

he didn't want me to have a heart attack

Sherlock said...

Can we do something fun now?

Greg Lestrade said...

(We're going for ice-cream, which has been judged 'fun enough' on the Sherlock funometer.)

Anon Without A Name said...

77 years since the last British male winner - I remember a TV being wheeled into the classroom so we could watch Virginia Wade win ;-)

Perfect ice cream weather, isn't it?

Greg Lestrade said...

Ah! My apologies to Virginia Wade. I honestly know nothing about tennis, except everyone gets all excited whenever a Brit...or Scot ;) seems like they might have a chance!

It is. I have even relented and got an iced coffee! I think I'll have to make some for home...

Anon Without A Name said...

I know nothing about tennis either, but I know I'm not so old I was in the first year juniors 77 years ago (feels like it, some days, mind).

Iced coffee? Is it good? I'm not a coffee drinker, but I have a general wariness of hot drinks served cold...

Greg Lestrade said...

It was...okay. A little sweet, but if I made it myself I could leave out whatever they put in.

I've done it before, just put a big pot of coffee in the fridge - works better with milk. Drink as required :)

I can't remember ever taking much notice of tennis before I met John...

Hope that cameraman who got hit by a runaway tyre in the Grand Prix is okay. Sounded horrible - broken shoulder, broken ribs?

REReader said...

Iced tea is good. :) (This weekend ANYTHING with ice is good!)

What kind of ice cream did you have, and how did it score on the funometer? :D

Anon Without A Name said...

ReRE: I'm too much of a "proper" tea drinker to consider trying iced tea :-) When I was a kid I could never understand how my Mum could drink tea in hot weather, but I get it now; it's very rare I would consider it too hot for tea (it happened yesterday, in the centre of London, baking hot, having just come out of a hot theatre - but even then one of my companions was drinking tea. If I hadn't had beer, I would have had tea).

Greg Lestrade said...

I've occasionally grabbed a bottle of iced tea, when it's that or coke or something. I find it intensely sweet, usually. Too sweet for me.

REReader said...

I actually like iced green mint tea--the mint cuts the sweet.

rsf said...

I start with unsweetened tea and then add any sweetener very very carefully. With some herb or fruit teas all you need is half a teaspoon -- just enough to give the flavor a boost.

Anonymous said...

For some reason Chrome seems to be eating my comments.

When I make iced coffee (which I really should do, it's bloody hot here), I almost always make it in a French press or in a toddy kit, which then steeps for like 8-12 hrs. Making coffee the usual way and then throwing it in the fridge leaves a funny aftertaste for me.

Or I make espresso and throw it over ice. Mmmmmm.

-Ella (still can't log in)

Anonymous said...

In merging my coffee comment with my ice cream comment from the other blog: espresso poured over gelato is completely delicious.

-ella

Anon Without A Name said...

In honour of absent friends (mostly DW), I hereby note the number of comment's on L's current blog post.

*titter*

REReader said...

*snerk* :D

Unknown said...

I more often drink tea than coffee (hot) and only add milk or cream or half&half to either. But when I want something iced I'm more likely to make iced coffee, in which case I do add a littletiny bit of sugar, and lots of milk. This may be partly because I have instant coffee in the house, which I find tolerable, whereas I have yet to find an instant tea that I can keep in my mouth long enough to swallow. But, once when expecting company, I did make some extra-strength tea ahead of time, put it in the fridge, so we could make iced tea by adding water and ice, and lemon. Which I never put in hot tea. Go figure.
S, who is pushing to catch up with The Gang, it's a little like running after a bunch of people who are just around one or two corners now, instead of miles away! :)

Post a Comment