Tuesday, July 5, 2011

miscalculations in scale

There have been an awful lot of brownies recently. Good points of that situation include how excellent they taste, the fact that everyone in our house (even me) can cook something, at least, and their extreme usefulness in keeping Sherlock occupied. I've seldom seen him concentrate as hard as when he's measuring flour.

Downsides include...well, the usual downsides of eating too many sweets. Lestrade and Sherlock tend to run it off without much of a problem, Mycroft has the ice skating and is growing besides, and I...have put on over a stone since I got out of hospital. Some of which was necessary, and some of which really wasn't.


I used to run a lot. From when I was still in school, right up to the day I got shot, with brief periods when I couldn't, for one reason or another. One of those was when I got a load of flying glass and splintered wood embedded in my thigh. It wasn't serious, and it healed up pretty well, and I got back to running...and then about six months later I got shot and they shipped me home. And the leg started hurting again.

They might've taken me back, I think, if it wasn't for that. So I spent a lot of time uselessly hating a part of my body, especially once I knew there was nothing actually wrong with the damn thing.

And then this morning I thought...you know, I haven't needed the cane at all for over a month, and not on a steady basis for longer than that. Why not try it again? At worst I'd fall on my arse and have to get a taxi home.

So I did. It went pretty well. Too well, I'd have to say. It was easy to settle into, and I didn't want to stop, and I knew perfectly well I should. Three miles is too much when you haven't done anything for over a year, and I was really bullying my body into it. Which you shouldn't do! Don't follow my example. And I'm paying for it now; just about every part of me hurts.

(But I'm not sorry.)

16 comments:

Bronwyn said...

Turn Sherlock loose in a crowded area and tell him to run. Then catch him. Repeat until satisfied. I call it the babysitter's workout.

Good on you for getting back in the swing of things, John! And remember to stretch. A lot.

Toodles,
Bronwyn

John H. D. Watson said...

That's not a workout, that's a nightmare! I have seriously considered buying one of those child leashes for him. Of course, he'd get out of it in about two seconds.

Piplover said...

Oh, goodness, do I hear you! I've gained 2 stone since getting out of the Army, and even though I hated it, I miss running. When I asked my physical therapist if I would be able to run again, he told me, "Not if you want to walk when you're 50."

It's really hard not to overdue it once you start back, especially since we're trained to ignore the pain and keep going.

Good luck on your next run! Maybe if you plan the route before you go, you can limit yourself, even if you feel like you should keep going?

John H. D. Watson said...

Pip - especially since we're trained to ignore the pain and keep going.

Yeah, that's the one. And there was an element of getting revenge on my body for being such a bastard. Which is, of course, ridiculous, but there you are.

About what your physio said...that's really hard. I'm sorry. Even if you didn't like it much at the time, it's horribly jarring to be told you can't do it.

L - Yeah, I'm not sure you ought to start in your current condition, though you're doing really well with the physio. How's the knee feeling?

Looking forward to it.

Greg Lestrade said...

I hope you can learn to listen to the pain (I know. I'm a fine one to talk).

Knees is okay, just a bit stiff still, mainly in the mornings or if I've been sitting for ages. Otherwise just the odd twinge. And no, won't start jogging until it's stronger. We should swim or something though.

You've still got the lavender oil, right?

John H. D. Watson said...

Swimming's good - it'd probably be good for me too. I am still going to run tomorrow, but I'll be more sensible about it.

Definitely still have the lavender oil, yes.

Greg Lestrade said...

Excellent.

And thanks for stitchng up that banana for Sherlock to practice removing sutures from. True love is a sutured banana...

Although I don't know if I'm more or less confident about him going for my leg now I've seen him do it.

Fruit salad tonight?

John H. D. Watson said...

There may be a lot of fruit salad in our future. He wants to learn how to put them in next.

I do feel a lot better about him taking yours out since his comment on your blog about it not being nice to hurt people, even by accident. I know he knows that really, but I am glad he has it firmly in mind tonight.

Greg Lestrade said...

right. I might need a Scotch. then he can go for it.

I'd assumed he was repeating you when he said that, so yeah, comforting to know he came out with it on his own.

I might let him sew me up next time...if you do the anaesthetic. (And assuming there is a next time).

John H. D. Watson said...

Well, he was sort of - god knows I've said it enough - but I haven't said it recently, so it seems to be sticking.

We'll see. He's got a long way to go before I'd even think of letting him near an actual patient. (I can't believe I'm considering it at all, but he does have awfully good fine motor control for his age...I'm mad, aren't I?) He can start by helping me sew in 20 billion name tags.

Greg Lestrade said...

Ah! It's all just another step in your name-tag sewing scheme! It's all clear now.

(Think I can use this as some sort of bribery to get him to go to - and stay in - bed?)

Piplover said...

"Even if you didn't like it much at the time, it's horribly jarring to be told you can't do it"

Yes, exactly. I'm way too stubborn for my own good sometimes, and usually if someone tells me I can't do something, it makes me want to prove them wrong. In this case, though, I know it's for my own good.

"And there was an element of getting revenge on my body for being such a bastard."

Totally understand this. It's like, "Come on, you used to be able to do this no problem!" And then you realize, oops!

I hope you take it easy tomorrow if you run. You may want to give yourself a day off and work on freewights, but good luck for whatever you do! You'll get there no problem!

Lestrade, I hope Sherlock is very gentle with your stitches tonight. You guys are amazing!

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock was very good, thanks.

And yeah, Danger, you should take it easy. Don't want you hurting yourself.

John H. D. Watson said...

And then you realize, oops!

Ha, yes. Exactly. I'll be less foolish tomorrow. Maybe not entirely sensible, but less foolish.

Bronwyn said...

My niece has a sixteen foot leash. My brother put two d-rings with a small padlock on it. My sister-in-law claims he's going to give her a fetish. The rest of us think it's seamed awesome.

Have you considered cycling?

Toodles ,
Bronwyn

Anonymous said...

Hey, John, did Lestrade work this case? Major coolness points in Sherlock's eyes (and mine) if he did.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/1879-london-murder-mystery-solved-182701599.html
Grisly Victorian murder with shades of Sweeney Todd? Check.
Skull found in 21st century whilst digging foundation for new patio? Check.
In David Attenborough's garden? OMGWTF.

Post a Comment