Friday, July 1, 2011

with less vegetal innuendo

Previously on Greg the Florist...

"Thank you. Thank you so much. I seriously would have been sunk without your help. Now, the very least I can do is buy you dinner and a pint down the road at The Cock Inn. If you're up for it, of course."


John smiled, and said…


"Love to."


The sky had darkened to pale greys and deep blues. The sun was gone, but its light still lingered. John walked close by Greg's side, grateful for the lack of conversation. His leg had set up like cement over the past couple of hours. If cement could throb in that particular way. Walking was about as much as he could manage.

"All right?" Greg said.

"Yeah, fine," John said, a little short. He made himself smile. Don't be rude to the man you're hoping will be your future employer and your future boyfriend. Not a good move, Watson.

"Do you want to... I mean, we don't have to..." Greg gestured in the direction of the pub, which was quite close now. "I could just get you a cab."

"I want to," John assured him.

Greg got them a table near the back. It came with a puddle of beer, an unidentified and slightly sticky substance, and an awkward silence.

Greg cleared his throat. "You seemed to like the work, yeah? Interested in staying on?"

"Yeah, definitely. It was good. You're...good to work with."

"You too. Thing is. If you worked for me, it might be odd if..."

"You asked me out to dinner at The Cock Inn?"

Greg coughed and rubbed a hand over his mouth, looking very much as if he was trying not to smile. "Yeah. That."

John studied him. This could be a tactful brush off. Could not be. He needed the job. He was starting to think he might need Greg more. What the hell.

"So I should ask you next time, right?" he said. 

87 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

You think Greg, king of the stiff cocks, is going to give a tactful brush off. Hah.

John should definitely ask him out. I think.

And I don't even understand your new poll.

Random said...

Can I vote more than once? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, AND yes.

Also, Greg-the-florist and John-with-the-cement-leg continue to be adorable.

innie said...

As ever, these tales are totally charming. It's nice to wake up to something that puts a smile on your face!

John, may I say I'm totally impressed that you were evidently able to get Sherlock to untie all those tiny knots his devious little fingers had crafted. (Not that he deserves a reward, but I do think the spider bedding I linked earlier might be something he could work toward?) And can I ask all of you to keep your fingers crossed for my boy Rafa?

ps - Want to come to New York to catch the US Open?
pps - YES YES YES to the Oxford comma!

Greg Lestrade said...

Someone tell me what a bloody oxford comma is! You're all very passionate about them. Is it actually punctuation? Or some weird oxford tradition or what?

Innie - it is nice to wake up to something that puts a smile on your face, yeah. So stop trying to tempt the thing I wake up to off around the globe with offers of tennis matches!

Lindsay said...

When you have a list, like say: beets, turnips, and aubergines. The OXford comma is that last comma that comes before the 'and.' It's an old grammar rule I guess? And it's not used in some situations...for example journalists are taught to drop the Oxford comma and just write "beets, turnips and aubergines." I was taught that way actually.

I really don't understand why people are so freaking PASSIONATE about the Oxford comma. My lord, it's just punctuation.

Anonymous said...

Well, there are times when the presence or lack of a comma before the and makes a significant difference in clarity. For example, are there two or three groups in "Men, women and children"? IOW, is it "Men" in one group, and "Women and children" in the other, or is it three groups with "men," "women," and "children" each having their own group? With an Oxford comma, there is no room for confusion, as it is clear that each group is separate. In most cases, I find the Oxford comma to be much clearer. I know that there are times when an Oxford comma is less clear, but I don't remember why off the top of my head.

Greg Lestrade said...

You lot make me feel very uneducated sometimes.

I don't know which I do. I probably mix both in. In amongst my general abuse of the language. The Oxford thing does sound like it should be clearer though.

I still get confused between verbs and adjectives and all that stuff. Don't tell Mycroft.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - I think Mycroft knows all our grammatical shortcomings at this point.

Innie - ps - Want to come to New York to catch the US Open?

Ha. Desperately. I got to the Madrid Masters a few years ago and Rome before that, but I've never properly been to a slam - just grounds passes at Wimbledon. Are the ticket prices for Arthur Ashe horrendous? I ask, as if there's any possibility of me getting there...

Greg Lestrade said...

I still feel like I constantly undercut even his lowest expectations.

He asked me the other day if we really didn't have books in the house when I was growing up. When I told him we didn't he just nodded and said it explained a lot!

And you know, New York isn't actually that hard to get to. When is the US open?

John H. D. Watson said...

Well, it explains why you don't read for fun. I think it's the sort of thing you have to grow up with, like marmite. Just your luck to get stuck with all of us (though I'm not sure Mycroft thinks the books I read even count as proper books).

Quite soon - 29 August to 11 September. I don't think I'd want to go without you and the boys though, and I don't see how we'd manage it.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'll stick to Marmite. You lot stick to books.

I like it when you read to me - although admittedly that's usually odd news stories or things like that.

Ah, that is quite soon. And in term time for the boys. So yeah. Maybe another year? Or you could go on your own, you know? Afraid I don't really like New York much. Although that's probably to do with the company I had. More than the place. You could re-educate my mind on that front, I'm sure.

Wonder if the boys have ever been.

John H. D. Watson said...

When did you go to New York?

I like reading to you as well, and you don't complain about my choice of reading material half as much as the boys do.

At least I can do the lottery for Wimbledon tickets this year. It's the first time in forever I've known for certain I'll be around for it a year in advance.

X said...

I read this great article on The Oxford Comma the other day: http://m.npr.org/story/137525211?url=/blogs/monkeysee/2011/06/30/137525211/going-going-and-gone-no-the-oxford-comma-is-safe-for-now

I mean, come on, what other piece of punctuation can create life? (That will make more sense in context of the article).

I'm very passionate about it, but that's what multiple degrees in English will do to a person. I also have strong thoughts on quote bs quotation, apostrophe usage, and "irregardless." And I correct signs and graffiti for fun. :/

X said...

Vs. As in versus. My phone seems to think that's bullsh*t.

John H. D. Watson said...

Your phone has strong opinions on grammar as well!

Greg Lestrade said...

About 6 years ago. Bryan got shortsighted for a photography prize. Had a show over there.

It was all rich kids getting pissed and doing coke and talking about how great they were.

Anonymous said...

I'm a passionate defender of the Oxford comma. For one thing, it was only dropped in the first place to save type-space in newspaper articles.

For another, there is this sort of situation:

"My parents, Mother Theresa and the Pope, attended Mass with me."

(Yes, a ridiculous situation, but it's illustrative.)

Does that mean that your parents *are* Mother Theresa and the Pope? Or that your parents, Mother Theresa, and the Pope were all there? You cannot tell from non-Oxford comma construction.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - shortsighted instead of shortlisted for a photo prize... I'm beginning to think your phone's autocorrect has an opinion on Bryan as well, heh.

It sounds pretty awful, but I'm sure we could find more fun things to do - apart from tennis, of course. How long were you there for?

Also, not the Oxford comma, but still amusing...

"It's time to eat, Dad."

vs

"It's time to eat dad."

Anonymous said...

I have a funny relationship with the Oxford Comma, in that I only found out what it was in the last year or so.

In school, I was taught to never comma before an and. However, probably through reading extensively extensively and exposure to media and things, I've somehow incorporated it into my writing and I use it all the time. I have no idea when it happened, and until recently, I didn't even know it had a name. I use it because I found myself frustrated by the vagueness of listing things without it, as the anon above illustrated. Sometimes, you just need to be able to make each listed item a discrete entity.

Lawless said...

I voted in favor of the comma, although I prefer to call it the serial comma. It belongs to the world; there's no need to be parochial about it.

New York is not all coked-up dilettantes.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm certain I'd have a lot of fun with you and the boys in NY

And to be fair, they weren't all wankers. There was a lovely guy named Jose, who was just as unimpressed by the rest of them. And you can imagine how Bry felt about that...

Anyway, not talking about him.

I'm getting a good education from you lot today. All very interesting.

Lindsay said...

"My parents, Mother Theresa and the Pope, attended Mass with me."

If you were just listing the people who were there, why would there by a comma after Pope? Seems to me you only have the comma there if the commas are bracketing the names of your parents.

Anonymous said...

New York in the summer is miserably hot, all the metal and concrete. The skyscrapers make these hot corridors that can't get air. It can be forty degrees and 93% humidity. Plus Manhattan reeks come July and August. Forget the tennis it's really not worth it. Come at Christmas, Christmas in NY is lovely.

Greg Lestrade said...

Totally failed to answer your question - there for just over a week.

And Azure is right, it was the summer and it was scorching hot. Horrible.

Will try to leave early again. I'm knackered. Sherlock talking to you? Or are you in his bad books too?

Anonymous said...

We moved over from London, Camden, when I was fourteen and when I speak to my grandparents they talk about it being pigging hot and then they say the temperature and I laugh and feel envy. And if you think the Tube is hot in the summer never go into the Subway, it's like some deity thought, "I know, let's give them a preview of hell."

If you did come at Christmas Mycroft could skate at the Rockefeller Center, he would love it. It's really fun even though I spend over half my time falling on my arse.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - did you get to do any of the fun tourist stuff?

Sherlock is a bit less testy, but very very tired. I think he's too tired to be mad at us anymore tonight.

Greg Lestrade said...

I thought he might be. Or too bored of not speaking.

I did a bit. There were some advantages to the drunken parties - the hungover lie ins the next day meant I got quite a few mornings to myself. Jose knew the place quite well, took me to see some things.

Christmas sounds good. Or winter, at least.

Lupe said...

Lindsay - IA.

I don't see exactly how the Oxford comma works, but that's because I barely know anything about punctuation in English. In Spanish, we don't have it, though you can use ", y" (, and) in some cases. :3

Well, I can understand why everyone's so passionate about it. Last December, la Real Academia Española announced they were making some changes to the spelling of many words. Everyone freaked out and made a fuss over it. :P In the end, they didn't change anything, ha! XD But I guess it's different. LA RAE is the "official" organization in charge of what's wrong or right with the language, their purpose is to keep the language one and the same so, even with our own regional variations, all Spanish speakers and writers of the world can understand each other without much problem. But like I said, whatever they say is OFFICIAL. You can, of course, ignore their guidelines (many people do, they can barely spell their names), but it's considered WRONG and uneducated.

Greg Lestrade said...

Failed to leave early.

Anything you need? Going to mine for clothes, then to you.

Tell Mycroft to prepare a lesson for me so I understand half these comments?

John H. D. Watson said...

Nothing we need, no. Just your presence.

Greg Lestrade said...

Physically, I will be there soon.

Mentally I may be a bit absent. At least until I've had some food and coffee.

Anon Without A Name said...

Another yes/no poll that doesn't have a yes/no answer. My take on grammar is that once you've added enough for the sentence to make sense, everything else is stylistic choice. So you need an Oxford comma if the sentence is ambiguous without it, and it's irrelevant if you have one or not where it doesn't change or clarify the meaning of the sentence.

Lestrade - I know you keep putting yourself down here, but the test is, does what you write make sense? And it does, to me (unless you're in a drug- or illness-induced haze, and even then it's decipherable), so what's the problem?

John - I'm very much enjoying John and Greg being adorable. Although I like the innuendo too, obviously :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Nameless - Yeah. Some pretty fierce senior officers whipped me into shape, making me rewrite reports and stuff when I was a young PC. I know my writing isn't too bad. I just don't know any of the 'rules' - it's like someone above said, I know what to do, just not why we do it. And it would be good to know. Same in Italian.

Danger - I warn you, I now have shorts to wear out in public, and flip flops.

Anonymous said...

Lestrade - While I grew up in a household that was crammed with books, I have never learned "proper" English grammar. What I have picked up is from all the reading that I've done over the years. I wouldn't fret about not knowing any of the rules; you seem to be doing perfectly fine without them. :)

-A

John H. D. Watson said...

Oh tomorrow's saturday! L do you still have to work or do you want to do something now that you have the shorts for it?

Greg Lestrade said...

Got to work for a bit, but I can make it not all-day. Would you and the boys rather I worked morning or evening?

Greg Lestrade said...

having said that...you free in the afternoon?

Rider said...

L do you still have to work or do you want to do something now that you have the shorts for it?

Considering that Lestrade must spend more time with clothes on than without, why was my first thought "you know what he wants to do, and shorts aren't involved"?

How could I have got that impression do you think?

(Ride his motorcycle of course, what else?)

John H. D. Watson said...

Afternoon's fine. Whenever really. I'll find something to occupy them till then. Maybe we can take the kites out again, that was fun.

Greg Lestrade said...

I sort of...maybe had plans for the afternoon. But I don't know if the boys would be interested.

For that matter, I don't know if you'd be interested, either.

John H. D. Watson said...

What sort of plans?

Greg Lestrade said...

Sort of...it's Gay Pride tomorrow, and nothing would make me prouder than going along for a while with you by my side...sort of plans.

Like I said, I don't know if they boys would want to come or not. They'd be welcome. But it'll be busy and noisy and full of soppy bastards snogging each other in public on the one day of the year you can get away with it without getting your head kicked in...

John H. D. Watson said...

I would love to. I'd be honored in fact, if that's not a stupid thing to say.

We can ask the boys tomorrow, and if they don't want to come along I'm sure we'll find someone to look after them for the afternoon.

Greg Lestrade said...

It's not a stupid thing to say! I didn't know if you'd want to go. I should have said something before, but I didn't know if I'd feel up to it. And...well, I can't really explain how pleased I am you want to go.

Or how much I want to kiss you in the middle of Trafalgar Square. Or hold your hand as we walk (hop/hobble) down Regent Street, and not have to worry about people staring or feeling self conscious.

John H. D. Watson said...

I probably should've known it was coming up, but I'm sort of glad I didn't. It's a nice surprise.

And...yes, to all that. You're going to make me tear up in a minute. I am so proud to be with you, and I'm glad you feel up to it. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Becca said...

When I edit (or copy edit) the number one rule is clarity, which is to say, how can I make what the author intended clear for the largest number of people. The number two rule is what ever you choose, be consistent. Nothing drove me nuts more than seeing one issue done three different ways.

In terms of the Oxford comma, I voted no, but I will use it when it's necessary for clarity, such as when one of the items in the list has an "and." If one of the items in the list has a comma in it, then you bring out the semi-colon in place of the list commas.

*Takes off editing hat* I have a long weekend!

I go to the US Open nearly every year, and it's lots of fun. I have the most fun at the quals tournament the week before the main slam. You've got all these tennis players, many of whom are young and possibly about to burst onto the scene, and they all desperately want to get a chance to be in the main tournament. It's free, and the few thousand people who show up are all crazy tennis fans. It's an amazing atmosphere.

Greg Lestrade said...

Come and give us a hug, you soppy git.

I shall shun the files in favour of you. They can wait.

Although I should probably think about you doing the physio stuff soon. Unless it works just as well when I'm asleep...

I'm possibly quite ridiculously excited about tomorrow. I haven't been for a few years. More than a few. Combination of working, and then being single and bitter.

I honestly don't think anything will wipe the smile off my face between now and tomorrow evening.

John H. D. Watson said...

If you think you can sleep through it, I'm clearly going too easy on you.

I've been with Harry a few times, but it's not quite the same, going with your sister. At least I can be reasonably sure you won't ditch me after half an hour for a girl playing a tuba.

Greg Lestrade said...

No, pretty sure I couldn't. Pass out, possibly.

Although if I could, today would be the day. Almost fell asleep face down on my desk.

*reasonably* sure, yes. But I am very partial to tubas... I can, however, fairly confidently assure you it won't be quite the same as going with your sister though. Considerably more kissing, I hope. Unless there's something you want to tell me about you and Harry's relationship?

And you'll wear the outfit I bought for you, yeah?

John H. D. Watson said...

Oh god. Do I even want to know? If your plans involve riding a blue horse with a horn strapped to its head while wearing camp trousers, I may have to reconsider.

Greg Lestrade said...

Well...I just brought a sparkly, pink, feather-covered posing pouch for you. Figured it could go with your Danger Sparkles jacket on top and your biker boots.

(Okay, I didn't. 'Fraid I didn't buy you anything. BUT....whilst you would look utterly ridiculous like that, you'd also fit right in.)

The only thing I considered was cuffing you to me, to prevent people stealing you from me when they caught sight of how utterly gorgeous you are.

John H. D. Watson said...

Well, now I'm just disappointed. (Not really. And no, I'm not wearing That Jacket. You can if you want to though.)

Ha. No one is going to look twice at me, let alone want to steal me, what with all the feathers and posing pouches about.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm hoping the weather will be hot enough that we don't require jackets.

Want to meet me at the Yard? About...midday-1ish? Walk up together. That way we can leave the bike gear there.

People will indeed look twice at you. I will, for one. No tubas or posing pouches will turn my head.

Anyway, people think nurses and doctors are hot. They'll all think you've taken me out for the day, way I look at the moment, and are completely free and on the market. They'll try to get you to ditch the old battered bloke and sneak off with them.

John H. D. Watson said...

You're mad. And also not old. And also gorgeous, so hush.

Yeah, that's good. We can get something to eat too? And ride back, unless the boys decide to come along.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yup, food is good.

If Sherlock does come, we'll have to invest some time explaining that whilst he might really want to ask questions about people...it's safest to ask them quietly, to us. Not march up to anyone and demand answers about their lives...Some people won't take it in the way he intends. he can be rather...blunt.

Christ, is that seriously the time?? If we're going to do all that, I need to be up in about four hours.

John H. D. Watson said...

Yeah, I'll talk to him. His middle name ought to be Blunt.

That is seriously the time. If you're quiet getting up tomorrow (today...), Sherlock might sleep through it. I have hopes. He was pretty exhausted.

Greg Lestrade said...

I imagine if you tell him it's a lot of people celebrating their love he might decide it sounds far too boring for him anyway.

I shall be quiet as possible. And hope he doesn't get up just to let me know how he's punishing me, like this morning.

Right, bed. Or all I'll be fit for tomorrow is having a kip on a lion in the square.

Anonymous said...

You boys are in danger of knocking my blood sugar off (again).

I hope it's even more fun than you think it will be. And that the boys will want to come along.

I'd make a comment about independence and freedom, but I suspect the date doesn't mean as much to you Brits. (American, here; can't you tell?)

I'm not weighing in on the Oxford comma. Although I can be a true stickler for grammar, I just don't care about the durn thing; I probably use it, except when I remember being taught not to.

Anonymous said...

Forget doctors and nurses, everyone likes a man in uniform! Lestrade, cannot believe you are passing up this golden opportunity to get John into his. He wouldn't be alone...

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2009/07/gay-soldiers-march-in-london-pride.html

X said...

Celebrated Canada Day and Will and Kate's visit to our nation's capital today with far too much Pimms and fireworks for it to be healthy I'm sure. So I'll probably sleep through much of pride tomorrow at this end, haha. Hope that you boys have a great time together, though, and that Sherlock and Mycroft have a good time if they go too. Nothing made me feel happier last year at the parade than seeing the kids waving rainbow flags too -- gives me hope for the future of humanity.

innie said...

Yes, tickets are outrageously expensive - I looked online yesterday and couldn't find anything less than $75, even for early-round matches. I'm hoping I can go again this year; in years past I've seen Edberg and I was once thisclose to Malivai Washington (literally, we were hip to hip and he is even more beautiful in person) and then last year I got to see Clijsters and Roddick from two rows away from the court (my little brother's company's box) and then the men's semifinals (Djokovich over Federer and RRRRRAFA on his way to eventual victory). That was totally amazing. What did you think of yesterday's matches?

On another topic about which I'm equally passionate - I hope Mrs. Holmes enjoyed the return of Cabin Pressure! What am I saying, she probably has all of the master tapes from the recording sessions already!

John H. D. Watson said...

I was once thisclose to Malivai Washington

I think I actually made some sort of noise when I saw that picture just now, going by L's reaction. Good god. I have never seen him play! Does he only do the US tournaments?

Yesterday...Nadal and Murray were about like I expected. The Tsonga-Djokovic one was pretty good. Tsonga's really playing well. I wish it'd been the other way round; I think Tsonga-Nadal would've been a more exciting match. Definitely rooting for Rafa in the final.

If she does have those tapes (and it wouldn't surprise me) she ought to share! I think she's out of the country again though - her last text was from Canada - so she may not have even heard it yet. (Nor have I, but I'm looking forward to it.)

Greg Lestrade said...

You did make a noise. I'll sit here simmering in jealousy. Whilst also smug that you're here with me, not any adonis like sportsmen.

Anon - I'm not sure J still has his uniform. I've never seen it if he does. And to be honest...it would make me feel a bit odd. Scared they might come and take him away from me.

John H. D. Watson said...

You've no call to be jealous, promise. I don't want him, I just want to watch him play tennis. Although if he wanted to do it without a shirt on I wouldn't object.

I do have my uniform - it's in one of those boxes at the back of the closet. I wouldn't have wanted to wear it today though, for a variety of reasons.

Greg Lestrade said...

I wouldn't have wanted you to wear it. For a variety of reasons. Some of them my trying to second guess your own variety of reasons.

Unless of course you'd wanted to wear it. In which case I would have been very proud to be with you. But uncomfortable in some ways, as I said above, and others.

John H. D. Watson said...

Not bad reasons. Well. I don't think they're bad. Just...like you said, we were completely normal today. No one looked at us twice (except when Sherlock was asking them questions...), and if I'd worn my uniform it wouldn't have been like that.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yup. Utterly, gloriously, normal.

(Sherlock did just ask that guy what bird he killed for those pink feathers, didn't he? Everyone's been SO nice to him today. I think the glittery hearts that girl drew on his cheeks with her make up helps. Who could resist his innocent charm? Or his passion for glitter.)

John H. D. Watson said...

He did, though to be fair it was more curious than accusatory. And yeah, everyone's been incredibly kind and patient. And those fairy wings he had on for a while really suited him in an odd way.

innie said...

Damn, John, you just painted a better picture with your words than I could hope to link! Sherlock in wings and glitter and bursting with a thousand questions plus a boy of great dignity and an even bigger heart and two goofballs who write fic about themselves - that's just beautiful.

Mal doesn't play anymore - he retired in 1999 but he did reach the final at Wimbledon once, so you might have seen him. My brother knew I had a crush on him, and as we were walking to Arthur Ashe, he said, "Hey, look, it's Mal Washington," and I said, "Ha ha, very funny," and then nearly swallowed my tongue when I saw him standing right next to me. I think he heard us because he gave me a big smile. Man, he was beautiful.

I'm glad to hear that New York is a possibility for you all, even if it's not in time for the Open! Summer can be unpleasant here - I just got off the subway and am drenched in sweat - but I'm not crazy about how harsh the winters can be either. Autumn is when the city is loveliest, so if you can plan around a break in the boys' schooling, I'd suggest September or October as the ideal time to visit.

You do know that you can listen to the first ep of Cabin Pressure here, right (until Mrs. H comes through for you)?

Also, not to be a total creeper, but I just came back from brunch with friends - we went to a British restaurant (chip shop) - and a family came in: mother, father, small son (maybe four or five), and smaller daughter. The little boy reminded me of you - big serious eyes, reddish blond hair, and a proper wristwatch that he seemed enormously proud of. And he was imitating his dad so closely - even to turning his head to "read" the menu, though I doubt he could read much of it himself. It made me wonder what you must have looked like at Sherlock's age.

Greg Lestrade said...

Innie - you've painted quite a picture there yourself.

What were you like as a kid, Danger?

John H. D. Watson said...

Mal doesn't play anymore - he retired in 1999

Oh! That explains it. Sorry, I read the bit in the article about "up and coming" and assumed that was why I hadn't heard of him. And then I stared some more. I'm quite disappointed I won't get to see him play! I wasn't heavily into tennis back then, though I watched Wimbledon of course. Trying to remember if I saw that final, but nothing's come to me yet.

re: Cabin Pressure, yes, but I want the whole series! I've heard a bit of the first episode now though, and Arthur's bear facts are killing me. Ha.

Was going to say something else to about tennis but I can't remember what now. Hmm. Oh! About Nadal completely numbing his foot to play - you heard about that? I hope he's all right. I know it's Wimbledon and obviously doesn't want to pull out, but still, that's worrying.

L - what was I like...hm. Well, when I was that young, very blond, small for my age, a bit pudgy, horribly stubborn, generally happiest on my own. Terribly ordinary all around.

Greg Lestrade said...

I refuse to believe you were anything like terribly ordinary.

Where did you grow up? Not Scotland, I presume?

John H. D. Watson said...

Extremely ordinary, I swear.

No, mostly London actually, though there were trips to visit various relatives up there. Harry was born there, in Aberdeen, but they moved here before I was born for my dad's work.

innie said...

Yes, I too want the whole series NOW, but not if it's going to make me all upset on Martin's behalf! Poor guy.

You must have been adorable.

I have heard about Rafa's foot (and all the other players claiming that he must be faking an injury in some sort of demented "gamesmanship," which gets my blood boiling). I just hope he's well enough to spank Djokovich tomorrow and then he can rest up and come back to New York to defend his title. (Oh! You'll appreciate this! My little brother moved out to California, so no more US Open for him, but he and I have made plans to go to Indian Wells for next year's tournament. I'm already so excited!)

Lestrade - you'll have to tell me if you find Rafa appealing when John is preoccupied with the match tomorrow.

Greg Lestrade said...

Ah well, I suppose we belong together, then. Ordinary boys.

Yeah, I thought so from your accent. Home counties? Surrey or Middlesex would be my guess. Or a nice school in town.

John H. D. Watson said...

Innie - people are constantly accusing him of things like that, aren't they? Seems ridiculous to me. If he's all that devious, he's putting on one hell of an act. Indian Wells should be amazing! I'm jealous.

Martin...yeah. He's sort of a tragic figure all around, but I hope all this ends in Carolyn actually paying the poor man something.

L - Middlesex when I was young, and then two different places in Swiss Cottage and...yeah, we moved a lot. I got really tired of packing things. Good practice for the Army though.

Greg Lestrade said...

This is why I don't have 'things'. Well, not many. Guitars, amps, clothes...everything else is expendable.

Innie - Rafa really isn't my type. Not at all gorgeous and blond and Danger-like.

John H. D. Watson said...

Most of my things have spent more time in boxes than they have out of them, at this point. It's weird having all my books out where I can actually read them.

Greg Lestrade said...

Books are heavy. If I did start reading, I'd get one of those electronic ones.

Anyway, Mycroft will run all future moves for you, by the sound of the way he did this one. You won't have any choice on how/where stuff is moved about

John H. D. Watson said...

I don't know how to feel about those. They look very convenient, but they're not books.

Fine by me, though I'd rather not move at all. I like it here, despite the wallpaper.

innie said...

Rafa really isn't my type. Not at all gorgeous and blond and Danger-like. I do think Rafa is beautiful, but what I like most about him are the qualities he shares with John: unquestionable talent, absolute competence, and unfeigned humility, while secretly being almost too dorktastic to be believed.

Greg Lestrade said...

I would say that we could stay and the wallpaper could move. But a. I think it does move, already, and not how I meant. And b. nothing else would hide pretty much everything Sherlock threw at it. This is like camo-wallpaper. No amount of fingerprints, smudges, stains or chemical experiments will ever show.

John H. D. Watson said...

Innie - Ha. Dorktastic is quite a good description for him. No comment on how it may or may not apply to me.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'll take your word for Rafa's qualities, Innie. I've only seen clips of him on the news.

John can indeed be quite dorktastic. And all of the other things you mentioned.

Becca said...

Oh, I should dig up the giggles clip of Rafa and Roger. Dorktastic indeed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94xyOpETYYs

I'm still trying to figure out how Rafa is walking on a numb foot, never mind playing! I was using crutches with an epidural not quite worn off (I was really bored of people asking me to wiggle my toes) and that lack of sensation made things really tricky. Although, thinking about it now, that might also have been the narcotics.

Anonymous said...

I'm Dutch and I got a lot of red marks in my work because we are not supposed to use an oxford comma. I think that's idiotic and nonsensical in some situation but if you look at the sentence I´m writing right now, it makes sense. Basically, if you out a comma in front of the 'and' in a row of things, you have to do it if you only sum up two things as well. So it would be; I like tea, and water. That does look weird, so in the name of applying the same rule to most or all cases, it's not used in the Netherlands.

(*giggles* the word I had to type was 'allbox'! Oddly fitting!)

Anonymous said...

Reading this blog from the beginning. Sorry, but I have to comment on this: @Becca, it was not the narcotics, it was the nerve block. Had surgery a couple of months ago on my ankle, and it took 3 days for most of the block to wear off, and I had no muscle control at all during that time. It was very freaky, actually, as I could not move my toes no matter how much I tried; I could have been trying to wiggle someone else's toes for all the response I got. So I do not see how a nerve block could allow an athlete to function.

Post a Comment