Saturday, April 27, 2013

undulations of a skate

I got an email from someone I used to work with today about giving a talk at a conference he's organising. Could be interesting, but it's in Cardiff, in the summer, and both the boys will still be out of school, so I don't know. He said I've got time to think about it. If I can't, maybe Murray can do it instead. 

In other news, London has decided it's really more late winter than late spring once again, and our run this morning was chilly - at least until we got going and then it was the usual overheated, red-faced, we should really do this more often temperature, with Sherlock literally riding circles around us at some points. 

We are doing better though and running at least semi-regularly - even more so since Sherlock enjoys it (mainly the telling us not to be so slow parts) and asks if we can go out. L's home for the weekend, and we're going to see Mycroft tomorrow. Probably lunch and maybe a short ride. It's so nice that both of them can ride now. 

And here's something Sherlock found this morning before anyone else was properly awake:

Undulations of the fins of a skate viewed from the side, by  Étienne-Jules Marey, 1894

39 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

what would your talk be about?

Weather should be good tomorrow. Have to make sure we go watering on the way back, or the allotment won't love us. Unless it rains more.

John H. D. Watson said...

Organisation and resource management - I know it sounds boring. You could probably subtitle it 'How to pack everything you need into five square feet of space', which was about what it felt like we had on the helicopter.

That'll be nice. I never thought watering could be that...peaceful. I hated it when I was younger.

Greg Lestrade said...

No, sounds useful. Maybe I should attend?

I should add that if we go watering with Sherlock it won't be peaceful. Peaceful and Sherlock are not things which go together.

Although when he's asleep he's sort of peaceful. In a tangled messy sort of way.

John H. D. Watson said...

You can if you like, certainly. Looking to pack medical supplies into tight spaces?

...True. Although if he's been there for hours he does sort of wind down a bit.

Greg Lestrade said...

I sort of imagined I'd take a few days off and look after the boys. Or Mycroft would look after me and Sherlock. Something like that.

John H. D. Watson said...

Really? You wouldn't mind?

Greg Lestrade said...

Of course I wouldn't! Why would you even think that?

John H. D. Watson said...

Well...your work's important, that's all. And it's not as if I have to do this or anything.

Greg Lestrade said...

How long'd you be gone for? I mean, anything under 3 days I could just take my rest days at the right time - wouldn't even need annual leave. And your work's important too - and I don't just mean with the boys. Your knowledge will help people.

John H. D. Watson said...

Two days if I stay for the whole thing.

Thank you. I mean, not just for the offer but for...feeling that way. Believing that.

Greg Lestrade said...

well two days is nothing! Just long enough for Sherlock to bake you welcome home biscuits, eat them all, and bake some more!

And of course I feel that way, you great daft lump. You're amazing. People will be lucky to have you talk to them.

John H. D. Watson said...

I want those chocolate swirl ones...

Love you.

Greg Lestrade said...

Then you shall have them.

Love you too. Even when you're daft. Or mocking my taste in shirts.

Maybe I'll take my flip-flops with me tomorrow, just for Mycroft...

John H. D. Watson said...

Or mocking my taste in shirts.

Heh. I know I shouldn't - it's undoubtedly better than mine.

Oh, definitely. I feel sure he'd appreciate...the chance to dispose of them once and for all.

John H. D. Watson said...

You love me anyway. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I do. And think you secretly love my flip flops.

I promise to dress appropriately for school though, Mycroft. Don't want detention.

John H. D. Watson said...

I do like you out of work clothes. You always look so much more relaxed.

Greg Lestrade said...

I am. Generally. Very thankful to you and the boys for giving me reason to look forward to my time off work.

Bed? You know SHerlock will be a whirlwind in the morning if we're going to see Mycroft - no matter how much he protests, he still loves seeing his big bro. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an early morning urge to bake something to take with us.

John H. D. Watson said...

Bed, definitely. You're right, I'll be surprised if he doesn't wake us up at five demanding to make biscuits... Well, hopefully closer to six.

Greg Lestrade said...

I have no doubt you'll be able to sleep through until roused by the aroma of fresh biscuits wafting through the flat.

John H. D. Watson said...

It's a skill I'm working on...

REReader said...

That series of photos is amazing, and unexpectedly beautiful.

Happy baking--although not at...what is it now in London? 4:30-ish? And have a lovely visit with Mycroft. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Mycroft has biscuits. We have sun. We have bikes. We have each other :) Brilliant day so far.

Anon Without A Name said...

Sounds wonderful :-)

pandabob said...

That sounds like a wonderful start to the day I hope it continued that way :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

It was a lovely day. I particularly liked bothering L during his morning baking. He was very patient in letting me doze against his back.

Greg Lestrade said...

You weren't bothering me. It was almost as if I hadn't got out of bed :) you sprawled all over me - me with no fnug ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Mm. If bed smelled like cinnamon and chocolate.

are you charging me with fnug theft, inspector?

Greg Lestrade said...

You do have a special ability to somehow roll yourself up in it in a way that makes it nigh on impossible to get any back without just rolling you out of the bed.

Bed could be made to smell of cinnamon and chocolate ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Cinnamon massage oil could be nice.

Just poke me or something. Or... get your own fnug. ;)

Greg Lestrade said...

cinnamon ...be a change from the lavender. Lavender to make you sleepy...cinnamon to wake us up?

If I poke you (with a finger, you horrible lot), you just grumble and burrow in further. And I don't want my own fnug. I want to get as close as possible to occupying the same bit of the universe as you do :)

John H. D. Watson said...

I'd prefer that as well. If you unroll me enough I'll wake up enough to realise that. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I fear unrolling you will just cause you to unravel directly onto the floor...but I'll try :)

John H. D. Watson said...

Maybe, but I think I'll just gravitate toward you.

Greg Lestrade said...

undulate towards me? :)

John H. D. Watson said...

Like a skate.

Greg Lestrade said...

You can make the duvet into your wings, and wrap it all around me :)

Desert Wanderer said...

To "Wind Beneath My Wings"

Did I ever tell you I love your duvet?
With all of the warmth and love it brings?
You could wrap me inside your duvet,
Pretending that its warm sides are wings.

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha! Thanks, DW. I needed that tonight. :)

Post a Comment